iMessage Compliance Regulations
When a company’s employees use iMessage to communicate with clients or colleagues about business-related topics, they are required to comply with all relevant communication-capture rules and regulations.
What are the iMessage Compliance Regulations?
Governments, public sector organizations and companies in highly-regulated sectors such as financial services (including trading, banking, etc.), law, and healthcare all face strict rules related to capturing and archiving communications.
The rules vary from country to country and industry to industry, but the overall regulations tend to include:
- All business-related electronic communications must be captured and stored for a defined period of time.
- The communications must be made accessible to internal auditors and external regulators on demand.
- Companies must have processes and procedures in place to ensure full compliance.
Why is iMessage Compliance Important?
Over 1.3 billion people use iPhones, and iMessage is the iPhone’s native messaging app, making it one of the more popular third-party apps that individuals use to communicate with businesses. Regulators have made it clear that electronic messages sent and received via apps are included in the recordkeeping rules and regulations that companies must adhere to. Compliance with these rules are important for a number of reasons including the following:
- Accountability – Compliance rules are legally binding and companies can face stiff penalties for ignoring or not fully-complying with the rules.
- Avoid Penalties – If a company is wrongly accused of improper behavior, having solid records of iMessage communications can help prove their case. For example, if a client gives permission for a transaction via iMessage and then claims that a financial company acted without permission, the company has the archived message to prove their innocence.
- Consumer Trust – Consumers like to give their business to companies they can trust. When they see transparency and know that companies are complying with rules that apply to them, they are more likely to remain loyal customers.
iMessage Compliance Challenges
The more third-party apps that employees start using to communicate with customers, the more complicated it becomes for companies to ensure that they are capturing all communications across platforms.
In addition, regulations are apt to change over time and it can be a full-time job to just stay on top of the new requirements and make sure that the policies and procedures in place reflect the updated regulations.
Finally, companies need to take the privacy of employees and clients into account when capturing messages. They must have a solution in place that allows them to only save the relevant communications and be able to do so without compromising the security of personal data.
How LeapXpert Can Help
The best way to ensure full compliance with all regulations when it comes to using iMessage (and other third-party messaging apps) is with a solution like LeapXpert, that provides an easy and secure way to capture, store and manage all conversations. LeapXpert has an iMessage solution that allows companies to remain fully compliant whether their employees are using the native iMessage app or via the Leap Work app.
Click here to set up a demo.