Mobile Device Management Compliance
In today’s highly-mobile world, any company would be hard pressed to find an employee who doesn’t have their own mobile phone. Increasingly, employees are using their personal devices for work-related purposes ranging from friendly banter with colleagues to sharing sensitive information in communications with clients.
The increased use of mobile devices means that companies must put policies in place to ensure the security of sensitive and private information when mobile devices are being used. These policies should be designed to make certain that the company is in full compliance with all regulatory obligations.
What is Mobile Device Management?
Mobile Device Management (MDM) refers to policies and systems that a company puts in place to ensure their compliance with data protection laws including the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the US’s Know Your Customer (KYC) regulations.
Non-compliance with these laws can result in significant fines for an organization, and given the ubiquity of mobile devices it is important to implement and enforce policies surrounding their use for business purposes. This will ensure the security of any company or client information that is stored on a mobile device or shared via a mobile device.
MDM policies are needed whether a company employs a Corporate Device policy of issuing company-owned phones for employees or whether a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy is in place, enabling employees to use personal devices for work.
In general, MDM policies should include things like requirements to register mobile devices as well as restrictions on downloading certain software and specific security requirements. There should be regular training sessions for employees and a management tool that the compliance team can use to make sure there are no policy violations.
Benefits of Mobile Device Management
A strong MDM program in place will make it much easier to stay in compliance with relevant regulations. Specific benefits of such policies include:
- Overall Device Control – with so many mobile devices in use, it can be very easy for sensitive information to slip between the cracks or be misused without a clear policy that is easy to track and manage in place. An MDM solution will make sure that data is all kept in one place and can flag any potential security breach, no matter which device is being used.
- Data Security – remote devices are much more susceptible to cyber attacks than desktops that are on a closed network. An MDM system applies standardized security measures to all mobile devices used by employees company-wide to make sure that all data is protected at the level that ensures compliance with regulations.
- Lower Costs – technological solutions exist that allow for the automation of MDM policies which will reduce human error as well as save significant manpower time.
Mobile Device Management Best Practices
When designing an MDM policy, here are some important best practices to keep in mind:
- Strong Passwords – set strict password rules for each device to make it harder for would-be hackers to gain access. Passwords should be long and contain a combination of letters, numbers and special characters.
- Keep Software Updated – make sure that all mobile-device users regularly update their operating systems and apps. These updates often include important security upgrades and protections against emerging cyberattacks.
- Use Latest Technology – while it’s possible to comply with all requirements without involving technology, a proper MDM platform will go far in making it much easier and more efficient to put safeguards in place and make sure employees are managing their mobile devices in a compliant way.
- Regular Audits – scheduling regular audits of mobile device use is an effective way to spot check and ensure that risks are being managed appropriately.
How LeapXpert Can Help
LeapXpert’s secure-by-design solution keeps a complete record of all employee business-related conversations using all of the most popular messaging apps. The platform makes it easy to set rules to ensure that all data privacy and governance standards are met. For more information, contact us.