SMS archiving is the process of retaining SMS messages for a specific time. Companies often do this to ensure you record all SMS messages sent and received or to comply with legal requirements. When it comes to archiving options, companies can complete this internally or through third-party service providers. Which one should you choose for your business and how do you make the right decision?
The SMS Archiving Process
Once you’ve decided how you want to archive SMS messages, the next step is to put your plan into action. The general SMS archiving process involves these four steps:
- Identifying SMS data: If workers use personal devices for work, the software must be able to identify business vs personal SMS.
- Collecting SMS data: IT teams can manage the data manually or through an automated system.
- Storing SMS data: Companies store the collected information in a secure location, such as a cloud-based storage system.
- Retrieving SMS data: When you need to access archived SMS messages, retrieve them by using a search tool.
The Benefits of SMS Archiving
Knowing what benefits you need most will help you design a system that best meets your needs. Consider these advantages before making any decisions.
SMS messages are often short and to the point, making them difficult to search through when trying to find a specific message. When archived, it becomes much easier to organize them and search for particular data.
SMS archiving can also help companies comply with legal requirements. Messages that help with compliance could include information on product recalls or customer resolution data. It could also contain business conversations between colleagues that shed light on matters related to contracts or even accusations of fraud.
Companies can also use SMS archives to restore lost data. If deleted, you can still retrieve SMS messages from your archive. This is useful if you accidentally delete an important message or your device is lost or stolen.
How to Archive SMS Messages
There are two main ways to do SMS archiving: doing it yourself or hiring professionals. Consider the pros and cons of both before deciding which one is the best fit for your business.
If you choose to archive SMS messages internally, you will need to design and implement a capable system. You can do this through SMS software or by using an SMS gateway. The advantage of this method is that it is usually less expensive than hiring a professional service. However, it can be time-consuming to set up and manage, and you may not have the same level of expertise as a professional SMS archiving service. You can overcome this by using third-party software that simplifies the process and provides support.
Hiring a professional SMS archiving service is usually more expensive than setting up your system. However, it can be worth the investment if you don’t have the time or resources to manage a system on your own. When you use a professional service, you can also ensure proper procedure and that you have access to expert support if you need it.
How To Choose the Right External SMS Archiving Service
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing an SMS archiving service or software. Following these simple tips increases the likelihood of finding services that get the job done right and that do not put your data at risk:
- Choose a provider that offers a secure archiving system with a strong record of data protection.
- Choose a provider that ensures reliable hosting of your data and limited downtime.
- Consider the cost of the service and the level of customer support you need.
- Ensure that the SMS archiving service can integrate with your existing systems and processes.
Potential Challenges of SMS Archiving
SMS archiving does have its challenges. Knowing what they are ahead of time puts you in the best position to create contingencies and solutions:
- Employee Privacy: Workers often feel that companies invade their privacy when documenting their conversations. The best way to overcome this is to offer complete transparency regarding the company’s archive policies and why they exist.
- Data growth: As your SMS usage increases, so will the amount of data you need to archive. This can quickly become unmanageable if you don’t have a plan to deal with it, so plan for future storage needs.
- Data security: SMS messages often contain confidential information that only a few authorized persons should be able to access. Create tiered security access levels to address this.
The Bottom Line
The SMS archiving process is vital for companies that rely on SMS messages for business communications. By using a capable system, you can ensure that your SMS messages are appropriately archived and that you have access to them when you need them.
Our team at LeapXpert facilitates SMS communications for businesses that want to revolutionize how they communicate with customers. We also make it easy to archive business SMS messages. Contact us for more information.