Text Message Archiving
Text messages are a vital communication tool for businesses and individuals alike. However, as text message usage has increased, so has the need for an effective way to store and access these messages. Regulatory bodies and the need for compliance have further fueled this need to find a comprehensive solution.
What Is Text Message Archiving?
It refers to capturing and storing text messages on designated devices, apps, or phone numbers. The archiving system then stores text messages in a secure repository so that only authorized persons have access. For example, some phones can run multiple SIM cards. The company might choose to track SMS messages coming to the business phone number, but it typically cannot archive personal text messages coming to the individual’s personal line.
How Does Text Message Archiving Work?
The text message archiving process captures and stores incoming, outgoing, and deleted messages on a secure server. The system then indexes the content so that it is easier to search, organize, sort, and retrieve the data. This gives businesses an easy way to access text messages when needed. There are three main ways to accomplish this:
- Manual: Some companies trust workers to back up SMS messages and submit the files manually. In some cases, IT admins might take the devices and complete this step on their own.
- Remote: IT admins sometimes give themselves remote access to the devices to complete the backup process. While this is also a manual way of getting the job done, it does provide greater convenience.
- Automated: Automation software offers much better objectivity. It automatically archives all conversation traffic tied to a predetermined factor, such as an app, phone number, or device.
Why Is Text Message Archiving Important?
The importance of text message archiving lies in the benefits it delivers and the threats it defends companies from. Consider the following examples.
Text message archiving helps companies remain compliant with worldwide regulations. This is especially important for heavily regulated industries, such as healthcare and financial services. The United States Securities and Exchange Commission is one of the top examples of regulatory bodies expecting the companies it governs to archive conversations.
Storing text messages in a secure repository protects the information from unauthorized access and hackers. This can be especially important for companies that handle sensitive customer data, such as credit card numbers.
An organized system of archived text messages can help businesses save time and money. It eliminates the need to manually search for specific conversations and ensures that all information is easily accessible.
When a dispute arises between two or more employees or involves customers, companies can easily access the relevant text messages to resolve the issue. Managers might also access text messages to investigate suspicious behavior or alleged fraud.
What Are Some Challenges for Text Message Archiving?
Despite the many benefits of archiving SMS messages, it does have a few obstacles companies need to overcome. Here are the main challenges:
- Finding an effective way to capture and store SMS messages from different sources
- Ensuring that all messages, including deleted ones, are captured and stored in the repository
- Ensuring compatibility across a broad range of devices, operating systems, and communication channels
- Protecting the individual privacy of workers and consumers
- Protecting the archived data from data breaches
- Complying with major industry regulations and sunshine laws, such as NARA, FOIA, and FINRA
What Are Some Best Practices for Text Message Archiving?
Companies can overcome the challenges of archiving messages by relying on best practices that have worked for others. Start with an analysis to identify challenges relevant to your business and then identify the best practices that address them:
- Establish a clear policy and guidelines for using SMS messaging.
- Establish automated backup processes using secure software solutions.
- Leverage automation to reduce friction in the process and ensure data integrity.
- Make sure all storage solutions are compliant with applicable regulations.
- Put safeguards in place to protect the data from malicious actors.
- Regularly review the usage of SMS messages to ensure compliance.
How Can Automation Streamline the Text Message Archiving Process?
Automation is essential for businesses looking to simplify their text message archiving processes. Software can capture and store messages from multiple sources. Through automation, it preserves mobile communication in context-rich formats that authorized personnel can easily retrieve. It only takes seconds and the right keywords to bring the intended messages to the surface.
While organizations should still hire compliance officers and complete regular reviews, automation significantly reduces the need for human interference in the process. This, in turn, further ensures data integrity and builds trust.
Are you ready to see what LeapXpert’s automated archiving solution can do for your business? Book your demo to get started.